|job title:||Chief Information Officer (CIO)|
|salary:||to be discussed, depending on experience|
|job published:||20 days ago|
Are you ready to revolutionise education across sub-Saharan Africa? Join us!
We are pioneers in developing unique educational products for the African market.
We’ve built our reputation on delivering high-quality, market-relevant education for women at the
Akilah Institute. At Akilah, we created and fine-tuned an academic model that puts our graduates on
the fast track to success. Ninety percent of our alumnae are employed within six months of
graduation, and they earn 12x Rwanda’s national median income. We’ve also developed an in-house
careers platform, MindSky, that connects students and graduates to employers.
We opened our first campus in Kigali nearly a decade ago. Now we’re leveraging technology to
deliver our proven model to exponentially more students. We’re opening new campuses in Rwanda
and Kampala in 2019 and will develop a network of schools across sub-Saharan Africa. We’re also
expanding our product offerings to include certificate courses, corporate training, events,
conferences, and much more!
Sustainability is a cornerstone of our model and a core tenant of our educational philosophy. All of
our educational products serve the purpose of inspiring young people to solve business, social, and
environmental challenges through a lens of opportunity and sustainability. We're committed to
educating the next generation of sustainable thinkers, who make decisions that balance vibrant
economies with a healthy environment to create a future of abundance for all.
The CIO will join our global headquarters and leadership team in Hong Kong, a hub of innovation.
Akilah has entered an exciting growth phase and is scaling its systems rapidly to serve an increased
student body and a second campus in East Africa. We are looking for people who are excited to
bring cutting-edge technology to underserved populations and are eager to solve the unique puzzles
and problems that presents. Our CIO will drive the strategic vision of all tech and systems on
multiple campuses including our careers platform, MindSky.
As we adopt a competency-based blended learning curriculum, our academic and business models
depend heavily on the right technology stack to deliver curriculum online and support rapid growth.
We are seeking an experienced executive, leader, and people manager to oversee our technological
transformation by vetting and implementing interoperable, organization-wide technology systems
and business processes. You will partner closely with fellow members of the Akilah executive team
to devise our information strategy and ensure that all systems necessary to support our operations
and objectives are in place.
The ideal candidate is not only a proven technologist, but a versatile business leader whose
recommendations will inform overarching company objectives beyond technology. The candidate is
primarily a business strategist with deep experience in technology, ideally having worked at a
technology company in the past. The candidate is highly collaborative and experienced in change
management, and is able to demonstrate prior experience leading a major transformation of an
organization’s key technology infrastructure.
● Oversight and guidance over the implementation and optimization of a Salesforce-integrated
student information database and learning system
● Management of interoperability across Akilah’s technology ecosystem, including student
database, Quickbooks, Salesforce, admissions system, careers platform, and other data
● Oversight of the product and technology teams, with responsibility for our product roadmap
● Information technology strategy, to include the technology infrastructure, equipment, tech
support, server maintenance, and network management across two campuses
● Selecting and implementing suitable technology to streamline all internal operations
● Hiring and coaching your team, to include product and technology, information systems,
and IT infrastructure
● Directing and organizing all IT-related projects
● Monitoring changes or advancements in technology to discover ways that Akilah can gain
● 7+ years at a technology company in a business management role, such as business
operations, product management, or large-scale program management
● Excellent knowledge of IT systems and infrastructure
● Background in designing and developing IT systems and planning IT implementation
● Solid understanding of data analysis, budgeting, and business operations
● Metrics orientation and ability to work with data -- prior database management experience
is a huge plus
● Superior analytical and problem-solving capabilities
● A strong strategic and business mindset
● Excellent organizational and leadership skills
● Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
● MBA preferred
● Willingness and excitement in building the capacities and skills of fellow team members
● Coaching experience a plus
● Ability to manage a team based in Kigali, Rwanda