|job title:||Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)|
|job published:||20 days ago|
Are you ready to revolutionise education across sub-Saharan Africa?
The company are pioneers in developing unique educational products for the African market, and they are looking for a marketing and communications leader to spearhead their marketing strategy, build multiple brands, and galvanise a movement around new educational models.
They have built their reputation on delivering high-quality, market-relevant education for women at the Akilah Institute. At Akilah, we created and fine-tuned an academic model that puts our graduates on the fast track to success. Ninety percent of our alumnae are employed within six months of graduation, and they earn 12x Rwanda’s national median income. We’ve also developed an in-house careers platform, MindSky, that connects students and graduates to employers.
We opened our first campus in Kigali nearly a decade ago. Now we’re leveraging technology to deliver our proven model to exponentially more students. We’re opening new campuses in Rwanda and Kampala in 2019 and will develop a network of schools across sub-Saharan Africa. We’re also expanding our product offerings to include certificate courses, corporate training, events,
conferences, and much more!
Sustainability is a cornerstone of our model and a core tenant of our educational philosophy. All of
our educational products serve the purpose of inspiring young people to solve business, social, and
environmental challenges through a lens of opportunity and sustainability. We're committed to
educating the next generation of sustainable thinkers, who make decisions that balance vibrant
economies with a healthy environment to create a future of abundance for all.
The CMO will join our global headquarters and leadership team in Hong Kong, a hub of innovation.
The Chief Marketing Officer will manage and grow Akilah’s small-but-mighty marketing team into a
high-functioning international operation. The CMO will work closely with the CEO and Akilah’s
Executive Team to define the voice for a bold new vision that involves expanding our footprint with
new campuses, new countries, and new educational products. She/he will work with Akilah’s Head
of Creative, who oversees the look and feel for each brand, to develop Akilah’s strategic
communications and marketing strategy.
The CMO will also guide the evolution of our messaging to commu
nicate the importance of
sustainability to both our global community and students in practical and engaging ways. She/he will
position Akilah as an influencer in sustainability education for Africa. This entails building an
engaged international community, publicizing white papers and research, providing case studies from
our students and faculty, highlighting successes, building partnerships, and seeking out opportunities
and events for Akilah to share its groundbreaking work.
You’re a marketing and communications visionary with expert
ise across all marketing areas,
including product marketing, digital marketing, social media, branding, and events and partnerships.
You welcome the challenge of creating tailored messages for multiple audiences, ranging from
students to donors to employers. You’re equally comfortable whiteboarding a 10-year
communications strategy and reviewing a set of Google ads. You’re equally passionate about
education in emerging markets, sustainability, and engaging multiple stakeholders in a meaningful
● 10+ years of experience in marketing and/or communications
● A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
● The tenacity of a founder and the creativity of a storyteller ● Experience growing, managing, and mentoring effective teams ● A proven track record of launching and running marketing campaigns for multiple products ● Experience in digital marketing, social media, branding, product marketing, and partnerships ● Demonstrated passion for education and sustainability . ● A willingness to travel frequently to East Africa and to manage a global team .What Success Looks Like: 30 Days:
● You’ve established a rapport with the Communications Team and Akilah leadership and
have done a deep dive in our existing marketing strategies to identify areas for improvement
● You’ve working on both short- and long-term strategic marketing plans 90 Days:
● You’ve developed a comprehensive marketing plan that builds on existing efforts and
accounts for new product launches and Akilah’s emphasis on sustainability.
● You’ve set clear benchmarks to measure the effectiveness of your marketing plan and are willing to pivot when necessary. 1 Year:
● You have a clear marketing strategy and are executing it. ● You’ve built out the Communications Team to effectively deliver on the marketing strategy. ● External and internal stakeholders have a clear understanding of Akilah’s mission,vision, products, value proposition, and position as a leader in sustainability education. The challenges:
1.) We pride ourselves in disruptive innovations that reach new and underserved markets. This
requires creatively and clearly communicating our value to stakeholders who may not have
previous exposure to our product offerings.
2.) We’re entering a period of rapid growth and expansion. As we evolve, a key challenge will be maintaining messaging consistency both internally and externally. You’ll play a key role in change management and in building excitement around Akilah’s future as a pioneer in sustainability education.