A luxury children fashion label is looking for a sourcing strategy and operations director to solve complex global sourcing problems every day, transforming our Creative Director’s vision into beautiful, high-quality, ethically-sourced clothing and ensuring it gets to our customers on time.
Responsibilities. The Director of Sourcing will lead and manage global international sourcing from end to end operations. The scope of daily responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Developing and leading sourcing strategy, including developing and managing production schedules to support seasonal plans, reduce lead-times and minimize surcharges and excess materials;
- Managing timetable and deliverables of the Design team to ensure timely delivery of sampling and production
- Identifying and developing new suppliers and production partners;
- Actively managing supplier relationships to ensure all suppliers meet capacity/delivery/margin requirements, social compliance requirements and quality assurance standards;
- Providing project leadership and management on all sourcing operations, owning the details on a daily basis;
- Identifying risk, proposing solutions/alternatives and ensuring small problems don’t become big ones;
- Maintaining open, constant communication with suppliers and factories, reviewing work-in-process reports, trouble-shooting as needed and communicating with Velveteen leadership;
- Ensuring manufacturing plans are supported with timely raw material deliveries, in order to meet deliver and lead time objectives;
- Ensuring the on-time delivery of sales and photo samples; and
- Managing logistics and ensuring accurate and timely movement of shipments.
Qualities and Qualifications. Above all, the Director of Sourcing must be a hands-on problem-solver, comfortable in a fast-paced, start-up environment. She enjoys working as part of a small, informal, hard-working team and easily balances collaborating closely with senior executives while solving problems autonomously - and often with limited resources. We take our work very seriously, but not ourselves – an easy sense of humor is a must.
In addition, the Director of Sourcing will have:
- 7-10 years’ experience in textile manufacturing, including supply chain strategy, management and operations;
- a global sourcing network;
- proven success managing teams and stakeholders, especially across time zones;
- the ability to multi-task multiple projects with tight deadlines;
- strong verbal and written skills;
- fluency in English; and
- the ability to travel frequently to visit production sites and current and potential sourcing partners.
Stand-out candidates for this position will also have:
- experience working with production houses in India;
- experience working in children’s fashion; and
- a college or university degree.